MEMBERSHIP AND VOTING
HOW TO BECOME A LALC MEMBER
If you would like to be accepted as a member of a LALC you must apply to the LALC in writing. You can apply as a new member or, if you were a member in the past, you can apply to reactivate your membership.
You can be a member of more than one LALC, but you can only be a voting member of one land council.
Note: there are penalties for making an application for membership that is false or misleading.
THE MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION PROCESS
Briefly, the process of becoming a voting member is:
- Fill out application form and give to LALC CEO
- Members vote at next available LALC members' meeting
- If yes, name entered onto LALC roll (non-voting member)
- To become a voting member, fill out 'Request for section 54(3)(c) notice form' [PDF] (asks Registrar to confirm member is not a voting member of another LALC).
- LALC forwards request to Registrar
- Office of the Registrar searches the membership roll
- If the person is not a voting member of another LALC, Registrar sends a letter of confirmation to the LALC and to the member
- LALC updates member's status as a voting member.
IF YOU ARE REFUSED MEMBERSHIP
If you believe that you have been wrongly refused membership, or your name has not been added to the membership roll, contact the Office of the Registrar for advice about how to resolve the matter.